Wednesday, June 3, 2009

While the Blogger's Away, the Plants will Play

Even though I have been lazy with my blog posts, my garden has been doing some neat things.

Apparently, Bok Choy is a cool-weather plant, so it's already bolting (new term for this gardener: sending up flowers). We ate some in delicious fried rice the other night, and now I'm looking to give it away, as I've heard it gets tough once it starts to flower. They are not as large and compact as the ones in the store, but they are tasty!


The broccoli is going strong too, and I especially love the stems on the purple ones. I suppose I should thin them out, but it just breaks my heart pulling up plants that I waited for so long to sprout!


I have tasted tiny bits of the asian green onion, and it is true, it does have a slight spice aftertaste! So much fun! To the left of the green onion is a tiny thing that looks like it could be the top of a carrot, but I've been deceived before!


Here are two strawberries; the first one I photographed before, I waited patiently until it was perfectly ripe, and then when I went to eat it, I think a bird had snatched it because it was gone! Then I had two tiny ones as big as my pinkie fingernail that I shared with The Husband, though he ate the one that wasn't quite ripe. These, however, were delicious, though too small for me to imagine ever making anything with them!


My bush beans just appeared last week out of nowhere, and my peas are finally getting started now that I stopped the snails from munching on them.


My Acorn squash plant is forming buds.


My mint is out of control (thank you, brain, for making me plant it in a container!), and has apparently attracted a friend to my garden.


My chives and cilantro are humming right along, though there's been no sign of the basil anywhere. But I think I see the beginnings of parsley coming up!


My coworker asked as he was leaving the office if we had any tomatoes yet. "No," I begrudgingly replied, as he seemed quite proud of the fact that he had some already. But then I came home and found this!

1 comment:

Sean and Steph said...

I need your gardening expertise!!!! I plant things, they die. I leave things in their containers, they die. I water things, they die. I don't water things, they die. I spend hundreds of dollars and many hours on plants, they die. Are you sensing a trend here?

:)

Post a Comment